Transportation Improvement Program
The Charlottesville-Albemarle Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is a document used to schedule spending of federal transportation funds within the metropolitan region, in coordination with significant state and local funds, for the federal fiscal years 2015 through 2018. The TIP is a prioritized listing/program of transportation projects that is developed and formally adopted by the Charlottesville-Albemarle Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) as part of the metropolitan transportation planning process.
The fiscal years spanned by the FY2015-2018 TIP begin on October 1, 2014 and end September 30, 2019. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is a primary sponsor for many of the projects. Activities listed for Charlottesville Area Transit and JAUNT are projects and programs sponsored by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) over the coming four-year period.
Federal regulations only require that projects that will use federal funding and/or other federal approval appear in the TIP. In Charlottesville-Albemarle, state and locally funded projects are included for a more comprehensive document. Inclusion of these local and state funded projects indicates approval by the MPO but does not necessarily indicate endorsement of them by the individual local governments, nor does it indicate state endorsement of local projects.
FINAL FY15 to FY18 Transportation Improvement Program
The MPO Policy Board approved the FY15 to FY18 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) at its May 28th 2014 Board meeting. The TIP lists federally funded road, transit, bicycle, pedestrian and related transportation projects to be undertaken over three years in the Charlottesville-Albemarle MPO urban area. For more information about the TIP please contact MPO Program Manager, Sarah Rhodes, at email@example.com.
Click here to review Final FY15 to FY18 Transportation Improvement Program
Click here to review the appendices for the final FY15 to FY18 TIP.
Click here to review signed resolution approving the FY15 to FY18 TIP.
July 8th, 2015- The TIP was adjusted to be consistent with the State’s Transportation Improvement Program (STIP). These adjustments apply to appendix E (MPO TIP Report), under the Project Groupings. Specifically, this applies to the following:
Maintenance – Preventive Maintenance and System Preservation (STIP adjustment FFY15-15):
- Moving $1,052,773 (STP) from FFY16 to FFY15,
- Moving $652,801 (STP) from FFY17 to FFY15,
- Moving $927,017 (STP) from FFY18 to FFY15, and
- Adding $2,363,777 (STP) FFY15 moved from the Preventive Maintenance for Bridges Grouping FFY18.
Maintenance – Preventive Maintenance for Bridges (STIP ADJ FFY15-15):
- Moving $2,456,832 (STP) from FFY16 to FFY15,
- Moving $2,254,079 (STP) from FFY17 to FFY15, and
- Moving $2,363,777 (STP) FFY18 to Preventive Maintenance and SYS Preservation Grouping FFY15.
Click here to review Appendix E and refer to page 5 for the adjustments.
June 4, 2015- The Tip was adjusted to provide consistency with the recent Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP). This adjustment pertains to 17 transit projects: 7 for Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT) and 10 for JAUNT. For a more detailed description of these adjustments, refer to the following:
- CTS0001 – Increase FY16 $427K (Decrease FTA 5307 $23K, decrease State $58K, increase local $733K, decrease revenues $225K)
- CTS0003 – Decrease FY16 $12K (decrease Flex STP $11K, increase State $6K, decrease local $7K)
- CTS0007 – Add funding for FY16 $67K (increase Flex STP $53K, increase State $11K, increase local $3K)
- CTS0012 – Change funding amounts for FY16 (increase State $24K, decrease local $24K)
- CTS0014 – Remove funding for FY16 $67K (decrease Flex STP $53K, decrease state $7K, decrease local $7K). No project funding approved for FY16.
- CTS0016 – Add funding for FY16 total $300K (increase JARC $139K, increase local $139K, increase revenues $22K)
- CTS0017 – Change funding amounts for FY16 (increase State $4K, decrease local $4K)
- JNT0001 – Increase FY16 $507K (increase FTA 5307 $11K, increase FTA 5311 $85K, decrease State $3K, increase local $325K, increase revenues $89K)
- JNT0002 - Increase FY16 $163K (increase FTA 5311 $1,224K, decrease Flex STP $1,093K, increase State $108K, decrease local $76K)
- JNT0006 – Decrease FY16 $5K (decrease FTA 5311 $4K, increase State $2K, decrease local $3K)
- JNT0008 – Add funding for FY16 $72K (increase New Freedom $39K, increase 5310 $12K, increase State $17K, increase local $4K)
- JNT0009 – Decrease FY16 $17K (decrease FTA 5311 $14K, decrease State $1K, decrease local $2K)
- JNT0010 – Remove funding for FY16 $225K (Decrease Flex STP $180K, decrease State $23K, decrease local $22K). No project funding approved for FY16.
- JNT0012– Increase FY16 $200K (increase FTA 5311 $160K, increase State $50K, decrease local $10K)
- JNT0013 – Remove funding for FY16 $150K (Decrease Flex STP $120K, decrease State $15K, decrease local $15K). No project funding approved for FY16.
- JNT0015 - Add funding for FY16 $35K (increase FTA 5311 $28K, increase State $6K, increase local $1K)
- JNT0016 - Remove funding for FY16 $364K (decrease Flex STP $292K, decrease State $36K, decrease local $36K). No project funding approved for FY16.
- September 24, 2014- This adjustment pertains to project CAT0017 and moves approximately $40,000 to FY15 for the purchase of a support vehicle.
The TIP was amended by the MPO Policy Board at its July 23rd meeting. These amendments focus on changes based on the Route 29 Solutions project package, approved by the Commonwealth Transportation Board at its June 18th 2014 meeting.